[Libav-user] status of avformat_seek_file
Niebur, Mark
2018-04-20 21:42:58 UTC
I'm starting a new project that needs to decode frames by frame number. I was browsing avformat.h and found the avformat_seek_file api which seems perfect, but above it is the note that it is still under construction and that I should not use it. I would like to know what that actually means, is it functional at all, not optimized, or is it pretty well ironed out and not subject to change much in the future.

Thanks in advance,
Mark Niebur
Carl Eugen Hoyos
2018-04-23 12:12:47 UTC
Post by Niebur, Mark
Hi,
I'm starting a new project that needs to decode frames by frame number. I
was browsing avformat.h and found the avformat_seek_file api which seems
perfect, but above it is the note that it is still under construction and
that I should not use it. I would like to know what that actually means, is
it functional at all, not optimized, or is it pretty well ironed out and not
subject to change much in the future.
There are indications that the comment is not completely accurate;-)
http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=commitdiff;h=d04768fa

Carl Eugen
Eric Lee
2018-09-19 20:28:23 UTC
Post by Carl Eugen Hoyos
Hi,
Post by Niebur, Mark
subject to change much in the future.
There are indications that the comment is not completely accurate;-)
http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=commitdiff;h=d04768fa
Carl Eugen
So, is avformat_seek_file safe to use, or still under construction? I
didn't catch on to what you are pointing out by linking the commit. The
warning note was added in a later commit... almost 10 years ago. If it is
no longer valid, what is the reason it is still in the documentation?

Best,
Eric Lee